Every once in a while I want to do something different with my exercise routine so I whip out a CD and start dancing! Remember variety is the spice of life!
If you love music or even if you do not, this is an excellent way to get in some exercise and enjoy your favorite CD at the same time.
Here are a few tips to help you get the best out of your music workout.
1. Pick out a CD that has several "upbeat" or fast paced songs on it.
2. Be sure and do a "warm up" first. Either pick a slow song or simply walk in place and swing your arms for a couple of minutes.
3. Once you have warmed up start dancing.
4. If you do not know how to dance then just move your body.
4.1. Sometimes I will do knee lifts and swing my arms or do kicks forward and back or side to side.
4.2. You can do anything you feel like just as long as you move and get your heart rate up and burn some calories.
5. Try and do at least a 15 to 20 minute workout, but if this is too much then do at least 10 minutes.
6. If you start to tire out, try just walking in place for a couple of minutes and then continue with your workout. DO NOT STOP AND SIT DOWN! You need to continue to move until your body cools down.
7. When you finish your workout, be sure and do a "cool down."
8. Again either pick a slow song or just walk around for a couple of minutes to allow your heart rate to get back to normal, but do not just stop and sit. You need to do a "cool down."
This is an excellent time to also unwind and give your mind a break. There are no right and wrong body movements to do as long as it does not cause any pain.
I just do what I feel like doing. Sometimes I run around on tip toe pretending to be a ballerina and sometimes I'm a fighter and do a kick boxing routine and sometimes I'm a tree blowing in the wind however the music moves me.
There are no "dance police" around and you are not trying to win any contests or try-out for "Dancing With The Stars." So just turn yourself loose and "boogie down!"